Whether you’re planning an evening walk, making shopping plans with friends, or going to a night concert, checking the weather conditions is crucial to avoid unexpected rain or snowfall. Luckily, you don’t need to open the Weather app on your iPhone anymore. You can now add a weather widget and check the conditions right on your lock screen.
Add Weather to iPhone Lock Screen
There are several ways to add weather updates to your iPhone lock screen. You can access the weather widget from the iOS Today View menu or utilize iOS 16’s lock screen weather widgets.
Enable Location Permissions
Before we dive into the steps, you should enable location permissions for weather widgets to ensure you receive accurate weather information.
- Open the Settings menu on your iPhone.
- Scroll to Privacy & Security.
- Tap on Location Services.
- Scroll to Weather and select the “While Using the App or Widget” option.
Check Weather from the iOS Today View Menu
If you’re running iOS 14 or above, you can easily place the weather widget in the iOS Today View menu and access it from your lock screen. Here’s how:
- Swipe right from your iPhone home screen to open the iOS Today View menu.
- Long-tap anywhere on the screen to enable jiggle mode. Then, select the “+” icon in the top left corner.
- In the widget menu, scroll to Weather.
- Check out different widget sizes and tap on the “Add Widget” button. Now, you can access the weather widget from your lock screen.
- From now on, simply open the lock screen on your iPhone and swipe right to access the Today View menu.
- Check the weather widget to see the temperature and forecast details.
If you want more detailed weather information, you can use third-party apps like CARROT to add customized weather widgets to the Today View menu and access them from your lock screen.
Use Lock Screen Weather Widgets
With the upcoming release of iOS 16, Apple has introduced dedicated lock screen widgets. This means you no longer need to rely on the Today View menu to check the weather. Here’s how to set it up:
- Press the power button to check your iPhone lock screen.
- Long press on the lock screen to open the lock screen customization menu.
- Select the “Customize” button at the bottom.
- Choose whether you want to place the weather widget at the top or below the time.
- Tap on a date, day, or month at the top to open the widget suggestions menu.
- Scroll down to Weather.
- Select the weather widgets you want to add to your lock screen, such as moon events, sun events, weather conditions, rain prediction, air quality, UV index, or wind speeds.
- You can add one weather widget at the top. To add another weather widget, select the bottom menu (below the time).
- From the widget menu, scroll to Weather and check out all the available widgets in different sizes.
- Tap or drag to add the widget.
- You can add up to three weather widgets. We recommend adding one weather widget and using the remaining two for battery percentage, tasks, or other helpful information.
- Close the widget menu and hit the “Done” button in the top right corner.
Now, you’ll have weather details at your fingertips on your lock screen. Make sure to enable location services for your preferred weather app on your iPhone. The next time you make any outing plans, just take a quick look at your iPhone lock screen to check the weather details.
Remember, iOS 16 is currently in beta development and will be available to the public this fall.