I love having personalized notification sounds for different apps. It helps me quickly identify which app or contact is trying to reach me. Luckily, Telegram offers the option to set custom notification sounds for individual contacts, private chats, groups, and channels. Not only that, but you can also upload your own custom tones to Telegram. Let’s explore how to add and use custom notification sounds on Telegram.
Upload Custom Notification Sounds to Telegram
If you’re not a fan of the default notification sounds provided by Telegram, you can easily turn any sound into a custom notification tone. These tones, known as Telegram tones, are cross-platform. This means that if you upload a tone on one device, it will automatically appear in the list of tones on other devices where you’re logged into the same Telegram account. However, you’ll need to set the tones separately on each device.
You can upload a sound file to Telegram from your phone using individual chat settings or notification settings for private chats, groups, and channels. The sound files should be under 5 seconds and up to 300KB in size. Below, we’ll cover all the methods in detail.
Please make sure to update the Telegram app on your phone before following the steps below.
How to Set Custom Notification for Individual Contacts on Android
- Launch the Telegram app on your Android phone.
- Open the chat for which you want to change the notification sound.
- Tap on the three-dot icon at the top-right corner and select “Mute.”
- Tap on “Customize” and turn on the toggle next to “Enable custom notifications.” This will reveal various notification settings for that specific contact.
- Tap on “Sound” and choose a tone from the provided list. Alternatively, tap on “Upload sound” to add a sound file from your phone. The uploaded tone will appear under Telegram tones. Select the newly uploaded tone.
How to Set Custom Notification for Private Chats, Groups, and Channels on Android
- In the Telegram app, tap on the three-bar icon at the top and go to “Settings.”
- Tap on “Notifications and Sounds.” Here you can choose custom notification tones for private chats, groups, and channels. Tap on the chat type for which you want to change the tone.
- Tap on “Sound” and select a new tone from the list. Alternatively, tap on “Upload sound” to add a tone from your phone.
How to Set Custom Notification for Individual Contacts on iPhone
- Open the Telegram chat for which you want to change the tone on your iPhone.
- Tap on the contact’s name at the top to open the contact info screen. Select “Mute” from the options.
- Scroll down and tap on a tone under the Alert tones section to set it as the new contact tone. If you want to add a tone from your iPhone, tap on “Upload sound” and choose the file to upload. Tap “Done” to save the changes.
How to Set Custom Notification for Private Chats, Groups, and Channels on iPhone
- In the Telegram app on your iPhone, tap on the “Settings” tab at the bottom.
- Go to “Notifications and Sounds,” followed by either Private chats, Group chats, or Channels.
- Tap on “Sound” and then “Upload sound” to add a tone from your iPhone. Choose the desired tone from the available list and tap “Done.”
How to Create Notification Tones from Voice Messages or Audio Files
- Open the Telegram chat containing the voice message or audio file.
- Download the audio if it hasn’t been downloaded yet.
- Touch and hold the voice message or audio file and select “Save for notifications” from the menu.
- A confirmation message will appear on the screen.
- When you try to change the notification tone in the Telegram app using any of the above methods, you’ll see the newly added tone under the Telegram tones section. Select it to set it as your default tone.
Bonus: How to Turn off Telegram Notifications
You have the option to turn off Telegram notifications for all chats or mute individual contacts.
Turn off Telegram Notifications for All Chats
- In the Telegram Android app, tap on the three-bar icon and select “Settings.”
- On iPhone, tap on the “Settings” tab in the Telegram app.
- Go to “Notifications and Sounds” and tap on Private chats, Group chats, or Channels one by one.
- You can also turn off the “Contact joined Telegram” toggle under Events to stop receiving notifications about your contacts joining Telegram.
- Disable the toggle next to “Notifications” for each chat type to completely turn off Telegram notifications. If you only want to disable the sound, tap on “Sound” and select “None” or “No sound.”
Turn off Telegram Notifications for One Chat
- Open the Telegram chat for which you want to silence the notifications.
- On Android, tap on the three-dot icon at the top and select “Mute.” Then, choose “Mute forever” or “Mute for” to set a custom duration.
- On iPhone, tap on the contact’s name at the top and select “Mute.” Choose “Mute forever” or “Mute for” to set a custom duration.
Use Custom Notifications
Just like Telegram, you can also use custom notifications for contacts in WhatsApp. If you want to change the notification sound for Facebook Messenger, you can do that too. And if you enjoy customizing your phone, there are third-party apps available to customize the notification center on Android.
Customize your Telegram experience with personalized notification sounds and make your messaging even more enjoyable!