Apple has recently introduced an exciting feature in iOS 15 called FaceTime links. With FaceTime links, you can now video call non-Apple users, including Android and Windows users. These links can be customized, shared through various apps, used to schedule calls, and even initiate FaceTime calls from non-Apple devices. In this article, we will explore everything you need to know about FaceTime links. Let’s dive in!
What Are FaceTime Links?
FaceTime links are simple web links that you can create in the FaceTime app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac device. These links allow you to video call users who do not have an Apple device. Once you create a FaceTime link, you can share it with anyone. The best part is that these links open in a browser, enabling people to join a FaceTime call from any device.
Here are some key points to keep in mind about FaceTime links:
- FaceTime links only work in Chrome or Edge browser. If you’re using a different browser like Firefox or Samsung browser, make sure to open the link in Chrome or Edge.
- Users on other devices do not need a FaceTime app, Apple ID, email account, or any kind of registration to join FaceTime calls. All they need to do is enter their name.
- FaceTime links support both one-on-one and group calls.
How to Create a FaceTime Link
To create a FaceTime link, follow these steps:
- Open the FaceTime app.
- Tap on the “Create link” button.
- The link will be created, and the Share sheet will open. Choose an app to share the link or simply copy it.
- Once you’ve shared the link, its name will appear on the FaceTime app’s home screen under the “Upcoming” section. Tap on the link name and hit the “Join” button to join the call.
How to Rename a FaceTime Link
By default, all FaceTime links appear with the name “FaceTime links” in the app. To differentiate between different calls, you can rename the links while creating them. For example, you can use names like “Meeting with a client,” “Family call,” or “Book session.”
To rename a link, follow these steps:
- Tap on the “Create link” button in the FaceTime app.
- In the Share sheet, you’ll find an option to “Add name” under the FaceTime link. Tap on it and enter the desired name. Press “Ok.”
- The new name will now appear in the FaceTime app.
How to Share FaceTime Links
There are three ways to share FaceTime links:
Share FaceTime Link After Creating:
- All the FaceTime links you create will appear on the app’s home screen. Tap on the “(i)” icon next to the link, then hit the “Share Link” button. Choose an app to share the link or copy it.
Send FaceTime Link During a Call:
- If you have access to a FaceTime link, whether you created it or joined a call via a link, you can share it with more people.
- If you’re in a FaceTime call on your iPhone, tap on the call name at the top of the screen and hit the “Share link” button.
- If you’ve joined from a web browser, tap on the three-dot icon in the call toolbar and select the “Share link” option.
Add FaceTime Users to Calls
You can invite and add existing FaceTime users to calls made through links without sharing the link. To do this, follow these steps:
- Tap on the call toolbar during a FaceTime call.
- Tap on the “Add people” button.
- Select the FaceTime users you want to add to the call.
How to Join a FaceTime Call Via Link
To join a FaceTime call via a link, follow these steps:
- Open the FaceTime link in a web browser, preferably Chrome or Edge.
- Enter your name when prompted.
- Tap on “Continue” and then “Join” on the next screen.
- You will be placed on a waiting list until the call creator accepts your join request.
Allow or Reject People in FaceTime Calls
Whenever someone tries to join a FaceTime call through a link, the call creator receives a join request. As the creator, you’ll see a message indicating the number of people waiting in the call toolbar. To allow or reject someone, follow these steps:
- Tap on the message in the call toolbar.
- On the next screen, you’ll see the names of the people on the waiting list. Tap on the green checkmark icon to allow a person or the red (X) icon to reject someone.
Silence Join Requests
To avoid being constantly notified about join requests, you can enable the “Silence join requests” feature. This feature allows join requests to appear silently, and you can view them at your convenience.
To enable it, tap on the call toolbar and turn on the toggle next to “Silence join requests.”
Schedule FaceTime Calls
With FaceTime links, you can now schedule FaceTime calls. Here’s how:
- Open the Apple Calendar app on your phone.
- Tap on the “+” icon at the top to create a new event.
- Enter the title for the FaceTime call.
- Tap on “Location or Video call” and select “FaceTime” from the options.
- Alternatively, create a FaceTime link and paste it in the Location field.
- Set the start and end time for the call and tap on “Add.”
- The scheduled call will appear in the FaceTime app’s home screen. Share the FaceTime link with others.
How Long Do FaceTime Links Last?
FaceTime links are reusable and do not expire automatically. Once you create a link, you can keep reusing it for future calls with the same people. To make a link unusable, the call creator needs to delete it. After deletion, the FaceTime link expires.
How to Delete a FaceTime Link
To delete a FaceTime link, follow these steps:
- Swipe left on the link name on the app’s home screen and tap on the “Delete” button.
- Alternatively, tap on the “(i)” icon next to the link name and select “Delete link.”
Start FaceTime Calls from Non-Apple Devices
FaceTime links are not limited to Apple devices. You can also start calls from Android or Windows devices. Simply bookmark the FaceTime link and, when you need to initiate a call, open the bookmarked link and tap on the “Join” button. The call creator will receive a notification that someone has requested to join. Tap on the notification to join a FaceTime call started by a non-Apple user.
Enjoy FaceTime Calls
Thanks to FaceTime links, you can now connect with non-Apple users easily. We hope Apple introduces more exciting features for FaceTime in the future. In the meantime, make the most of your FaceTime calls by exploring features like recording calls and sharing your screen.