Archos announced the details and specs for their upcoming new generation 10 (Gen10) Archos 101 XS 10.1-inch Android tablet today, as well as anouncing two additional tablets. The Archos 101 XS will start at around $369,99 in the US.
CPU: 1.5 GHz OMAP 4470 ARM CORTEX CPU multi-core processor with PowerVR SGX544 GPU graphics co-processor.
Storage: 16GB + micro SD Slot (expandable to 64GB)
Display: 10.1-inch (1280×800)
OS: Android 4.0.3 that will get a 4.1 Jelly Bean upgrade soon after release. The Android 4.0 is an original unskinned Ice Cream Sandwich edition, unlike that of many other tablet producers.
With the addition of GPS, G-sensor, Magnetometer, Built-in, 720p Front Camera, Microphone, Micro USB 2.0, MicroSD (SDXC up to 64 GB), Mini HDMI, WiFi, and 4.0 Bluetooth.
Dimensions and Weight:
– Tablet: 273mm x 170mm x 8mm
– Coverboard: 273mm x 170mm x5mm
– Tablet: 600g
– Coverboard: 200g
Battery: 6800 mAh Li-Ion
If you are worried about the quality of Archos tablets based on their reputation, there are lot’s of alternative 10.1-inch tablets available. There’s the Acer Iconia A200 for $308, the $379.98 32GB Asus Transformer TF300, and the 32GB Acer Iconia A700 for $349.99. All of which are safer bets than an Archos tablet.
– It will feature a magnetic detachable chicklet-style QWERTY keyboard (similar to that of the Windows 8 Surface tablet) called Coverboard with Android shortcut keys, that in addition will function as a kickstand, docking, and protective cover.
– It gets full Google Play access.
– OfficeSuite Pro 6 with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
– Archos own Media Center with wireless streaming and IR-blaster universal remote control features.
– Archos is also designing accessories such as Speaker Dock Boombox, Docking Station and protective carrying Pouches.
Archos 101 XS pre-orders should be ready from September in Europe according to Archos, though customers in the US will have to wait until November for the release.
If you can’t wait until then, or if you are fed up with all the problems Archos tablets generally provide, the new Sony Xperia Tablet S will be released September 7 for the same price, and offers a much higher quality tablet, over twice the battery life, and an ecosystem Archos can only dream of.
Archos also announced two additional tablets today – The Archos 97 XS and Archos 80 XS, both to be released sometime late in 2012, but with no other info given. In addition, there are rumors out there circulating about two larger tablets – Which is the 11.6-Inch Archos 116 XS and 13.3-Inch Archos 133 XS. Both of these rumors/expectations are based on FCC filings. Neither of these two larger Archos tablets are expected to see the light of day until 2013.
This is the new Archos 101 XS video presentation, released today. More pictures below…